Teach your students how to measure the capacity and mass of familiar objects in both grams and kilograms. There are a variety of activities used to help students practice including games, sorts and project-based activities.
– Meets the Ontario Curriculum expectations for grades 3-6
Capacity and mass portion of the measurement strand.
Math Skills Covered
- Select and justify the most appropriate standard used to measure mass.
- Estimate, measure, and record the mass of objects using Kilogram and gram.
- Estimate, measure and record the capacity of containers in litres and millilitres.
- Determine the relationship between capacity and volume.
- Determine through investigation the standard algorithm for volume.
Answer key not currently included, they will follow shortly
- Daily Word Problems Include:
- Simple word problems
- multi-step word problems
- open-ended word problems.
What do you mean differentiated?
These are differentiated because you can use one page for every student. This means that your students working with below grade-level expectations or above will also do the same pages. They are differentiated because the questions are designed to increase or decrease the complexity based on the fraction you start with.
How does it work?
Each day you will give students one double-sided page. Page one includes familiar practice pages. This page is repeated and familiar each day. However, the work each day is different. As you work through this front page the questions become familiar and routine as students master these skills through routine and practice. On page two then there is a problem of the day. This problem can be used as a modelled lesson, a partner activity, the basis for your number talks, or quick assessments.
If everyone is doing something different isn’t it more work?
Actually, it is less!! There is less work because you have less prep. By grouping students, you can give each group a different starting point each day. They use their numbers to show mastery. Because the pages are familiar it is easy to track growth and understanding quickly as students are working.
There are no reviews yet.